All About the Tummy Tuck
If you have been struggling to trim your waist you are not alone. Whether it was due to excessive weight gain eventually followed by weight loss or childbirth, getting back your waistline is a challenge. In many cases, regardless of how much diet and exercise is performed, the fat in the belly area just will not go away. Skin sags and muscles lose their structure.
If you can relate to this, you may be a candidate for a tummy tuck. According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, there were over 160,000 tummy tuck procedures done in the United States. The tummy tuck is also one of the top five surgical procedures had by women.
Dr. Jason Cooper is a highly sought after plastic surgeon in the South Florida region. Dr. Jason Cooper specializes in tummy tuck surgery for individuals who want a slimmer, flatter abdomen and improved waistline.
What is a Tummy Tuck?
A tummy tuck or abdominoplasty is a procedure that improves abdominal contours by removing excess skin and repairing separated muscles. It can also remove some, if not all, the stretch marks in your lower abdomen.
If you have one or more of the following concerns or issues, it may be the right time to consider a tummy tuck:
- If you have flab, stretch marks or excess skin on your abdomen that does not improve with diet and exercise
- If you feel that your protruding abdomen is unattractive
- If your self-confidence is marred by your stomach contour
- If your waist lacks definition
Who are Candidates for a Tummy Tuck?
- Your weight is stable. Slender individuals with extra fat and loose skin in the lower tummy are the best candidates.
- You do not smoke. Smoking slows down the healing process and increases the risk of serious complications after surgery. If you smoke, it is best to quit about six weeks before surgery.
- You have a significant amount of intra-abdominal fat surrounding your internal organs, you may need to slim down before your tummy tuck.
- You are finished having children. The muscles repaired during tummy tuck can separate again during pregnancy.
- Internal or external scars from any previous abdominal surgery may affect candidacy.
What are the Benefits of a Tummy Tuck Procedure?
There are various medical and cosmetic benefits of a tummy tuck that make the procedure appealing for many people. Interested patients should discuss the operation in detail with their surgeon and consider all the advice before deciding whether to undergo surgery.
- Increased self-confidence.
- More youthful looking body.
- You will look better in clothes and swimwear.
- Removal of excessive skin and large folds that can also lead to fungal infection.
- Elimination of stretch marks by either removal or tightening of affected skin.
- Creation of a flatter, tighter, more contoured abdomen and defined waist.
- After an abdominoplasty, patients may notice their posture has improved
significantly, due to the tightened muscles supporting their spine.
During your initial consultation with Dr. Jason Cooper, you will have the opportunity to discuss your cosmetic goals. Dr. Cooper will evaluate you as a candidate for tummy tuck surgery and clarify what approach is best for you. Some patients have only moderate skin excess in the area below the navel, and may be candidates for a mini tummy tuck, which requires only a short incision along the pubic area. Understanding your goals and medical condition, both alternative, and additional treatments may be considered.
- Express all of your concerns about the procedure and recovery
- Discuss the risks of abdominoplasty at length
- Discuss your options in anesthesia, tummy tuck incision types and more
- Ask to see several before and after photos
- Bring a friend or your spouse if you are feeling nervous
Tummy Tuck Recovery
Recovery is different between patients. It is important to have someone look after you for the initial 24-hours after going home. The general recovery requires:
- Your return to work depends on the physical nature of your job.
- Dr. Jason Cooper advises his patients to avoid heavy lifting for at least a month
after the procedure
- Back to most activities in two months
- Numbness and scars should resolve in 12-18 months.
Most people love how they look after this procedure. That can take time though. You may not feel like your normal self for months after the surgery.
During your tummy tuck recovery, dressings or bandages may be applied to your incisions, and you may be wrapped in an elastic bandage or a compression garment to minimize swelling and support your abdomen as it heals following surgery.
You will be given specific instructions that may include:
- How to care for the surgical sites and drains
- Medications to apply or take orally to aid healing and reduce the potential for
- Specific concerns to look for at the surgical site or in your general health
Your New Look
Abdominoplasty produces excellent results for patients with weakened abdominal muscles or excess skin. In most cases, the results are long lasting, if you follow a balanced diet and exercise regularly.
If you’re realistic in your expectations and prepared a lengthy recovery period, abdominoplasty may be just the answer for you.
Our practice represents Dr. Jason Cooper’s vision of bringing top quality plastic surgery in and personalized aesthetic care to his home in South Florida.
After years of elite cosmetic plastic surgery training and experience at some of the world’s finest institutions, Dr. Cooper established his Jupiter plastic surgery practice to provide residents of the Palm Beach Gardens area access to advanced, effective surgical and non-surgical procedures performed in an atmosphere of respect, comfort,and trust.